Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Lego my Ego!

Yo, wus happenin'?!?
I'm gettin' back on the blog saddle and for me that means lettin' go of my EGO!!!

Historically I tend to fall under the spell of that discouraging voice inside which says, 
"You can't do it!.....it's too much work!....you're too busy!....do you really know what you're talking about?.....who will read it anyway?"


But this is exactly why I know I'm meant to write, share and offer my personal perspective with the world (plus my amazing friend and spiritual guide recommended I stick with it; seriously check her out for incredible clarity & guidance). 
I have a fire inside burning brightly, just waiting to shine out to the world.  I've been pondering and reassessing the intention of this blog and it came to me that if I share my story, then more folks may be lead to appreciate their own. My intention is to inspire!

It's funny to me how the ego is an inherent element to living as a human on plant Earth, yet seemingly always earning a bad reputation, often spoken of in negative connotation. But it is our ego that helps us make decisions for ourselves, creating and dissolving boundaries, which leads us powerfully into our own greatness, self-esteem, passion and bright light.


The ego can be a strange trap for many of us, though. Simply put, if we become too caught up with ourselves, whatever the expression, we create a self-contained illusion that we are either above and beyond others---acting out of arrogance, greed and misused power & control---or conversely, afraid to express our unique gifts---withdrawing into doubt, fear, lack of self-worth, thus the shying away from our own power. 

In yoga, the ego is connected energetically to the navel point, our core, and the 3rd chakra Manipura. This chakra holds the burning flame of passion, power, intellect, drive, digestion and the liver. This space allows us to harness our unique gifts in order to first find comfort with ourselves, so that we can then find comfort with others. Here we explore the term and concept of tapas: consistency, drive, and determination. 


For most, tapas conjures up hunger for tasty appetizers...delicious! However, in this light we are referring to the burning desire to forge ahead and continue to follow our illuminated path. While the ego is seemingly magnetized toward difficulty, we can view this attraction as a way to "get over ourselves". It is not always easy to stand in the face of fire, but if we can be in that place, consistently and willingly, without attachment to the outcome, then we will find a balance. 

Remember, fire is a powerful element that can warm and transform, but also penetrate and destroy. Without fire there is no heat, there is no passion, there is no transmutation of energy. So as I embark on the path of practicing tapas, I also encourage YOU to step back and reassess where in your life you might be pushing too hard or falling away from your unique essence. Re-examine your goals and dreams, then mindfully start making them a reality by detaching from the outcome and just DOING IT! Give yourself something every day to come back to, whether that be a meditation seat, a yoga practice, a calm moment in nature or some daily dedication to your craft. 
Here's to practicing TAPAS!
Thanks for checking in! Stay tuned for more.....
SALUD!
XO

Photo credit: Room/22 Photography


For more awesome reading on tapas and related topics, check out:

No comments:

Post a Comment