Wednesday, September 4, 2013

the passive-aggressive hippie....

I couldn't resist.....


(isn't aggressive spelled with two "g"s? hmmmm)

I like being able to make fun of myself in the yoga world. You almost have to to survive!

I went to a party once and when a guy asked what I do for a living I said, "I'm a yoga teacher." 
Although he replies with words it could have easily been translated into an immediate erection.
"OHHHHHHH yeahh...so you can put your foot behind your head?"

I'm not stupid. I know he was on the edge of his seat waiting for me to show him right there that I could. Unless I'm trying to pick up a date, why would I entertain that thought in any way?

All you can do is laugh.

There's a stereotype for everyone and everything. And the funny thing is that I think many folks perpetuate their own stereotypes! Just take a look around and OBSERVE what you see. 
So all we can do is laugh.

There is a deeply earnest undercurrent to the science, art and practice of yoga, but ya can't lose your humor! My man helps me with this EVERY DAY. He's the ultimate jokester and drives me insane with his continuous antics of sarcasm. He always says, "I'm just funnin". Although I get uptight sometimes, I love him for it. It's what keeps me sane. It's what draws me away from mental rigidity and back into the space of playful behavior.

Yes meditation is strict business and there are plenty of teachers, spiritual leaders and gurus that will tell you there's no room for smiling, laughing or the distractions of mindless pleasures.

But I believe a lighthearted approach just may save ourselves from ourselves.
Humor can pull us away from our insecurities and sensitivities. With humor we focus less on dogmas and imposing a somewhat passive-aggressive approach upon others, and instead just take a backseat and enjoy the ride.
I remember years ago when I explored the practice of veganism and instantly adopted the approach as the only and one approach (this is my baggage and story, not yours....so if you are a vegan I really don't care either way.....do what makes YOU feel best!).

Suddenly everyone around me got nervous. I couldn't eat anywhere with anyone because the menu didn't fit my life (I was in Iowa at the time, mind you). Suddenly what started as an attempt to regain my health and cleanse my body, mind and spirit from negative karma and acidic foods, turned into a militant passive-aggressive bitch patrol. I was gettin WAY TOO SERIOUS!

It wasn't so much the fact I was abstaining from all animal products that put others on edge, but more so my judgmental, confrontational, intimidating and somewhat dominate attitude that accompanied it.

So when I saw this cartoon I couldn't resist.
Just do what you love and love what you do. 
Let others do the same.
Find what brings you together rather than what pulls you apart.
And for God's sake, just laugh it off.
That's my motto as of late and I hope you can find comfort in it too.

from the cheesiest, tackiest and silliest place within me,
I bow to that same space within you!
NAMASTE!
the wise owl 
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment